"Little Women" the Classic is Reborn for a Younger Generation





Local Utah director, Clare Niederpruem and co-writer, Kristi Shimek bring “Little Women” to life again in this all new remake on the classic Louisa May Alcott story of the March sisters and their intertwining lives. The film stars Lea Thompson and Allie Jennings. 

It’s a story many of us, including myself grew up on and there’s a tender place in my heart for "Little Women".

While I found the story had some lovely moments, I felt there were some problems with the film's edit and finally, the direction of the actors on the screen. Joe March, one of my favorite characters, came off as over-the-top and incorrigible--ultimately, unlikable. I found myself wanting to get to know the characters more by lingering on each scene, but instead, I felt jetted around from one place to the next, like a quick sight-seeing trip in a city. 

However, overall, I loved the story and I feel that it is important for today's generation of little women to have a story of family, sisterly love, and shared artistic expression to grow up with and carry with them into their own future stories. 

Rating: C

Comments