"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is Visually Stunning and Thematically Disturbing



Quentin Tarantino's latest film is a love story to Hollywood and an exploration of European cinema and the spaghetti Western genre, with a big nod to Sergio Leone, creator of the genre. Even the title of the film was inspired by Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West."

I enjoyed his closeup shots and the way his camera follows Sharon outside of the movie theater. He's a master storyteller. I enjoyed seeing Los Angeles depicted in 1969 and Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio spoke to us with their endearing friendship and unequivocal love for each other. Also, the cinematography is gorgeous. 

While Tarantino certainly knows his way around a camera, there is beef that I have with the film, namely his depiction of women and his enjoyment of grisly violence which points to a deeper issue--misogyny. 

I wasn't impressed with the way he killed off the Manson family at the end. While I'm glad that he didn't show the murder of a pregnant Sharon Tate on camera and spared her, I was certainly not happy to watch the female members of the Manson cult get killed in the brutal way that they did. It was certainly disturbing. I was even more appalled that male audience-goers were laughing at this.

Rating: B 

Comments