Local Spotlight: Sundance Premiere THE KILLING OF TWO LOVERS

Photo courtesy: IMDb

Premiering at Sundance Film Festival in 2020, THE KILLING OF TWO LOVERS has a raw, intense mood that is heavily influenced by the wide, barren landscapes working in conjunction with a focus on sound design and a score that provides a sense of danger, urgency, and heart-pounding action with its industrial feel, even from the very first shot of the film. In many ways, THE KILLING OF TWO LOVERS carries with it the spirit of a great Western film.


The film was shot all on location in Kanosh, Utah and was written and directed by Utah based Writer|Director Robert Machoian. The film tells a timeless tale of a young couple caught in a love triangle and the story of a husband who will do anything to save his family when he discovers his wife with another man. 

The film features a phenomenal cast including Clayne Crawford, Sepideh Moafi and Chris Coy, and the film was also produced by Clayne Crawford and Robert Machoian. I had the pleasure of interviewing the cast at the premiere that took place in Park City, Utah. 

Red Carpet Premiere for "The Killing of Two Lovers."  Photographer: Emily Clark 

Below are the interviews with the director and cast. 

Emily Clark: Tell me a little bit about your character and what brought you to this film. 


Chris Coy: I play the third component in the love triangle, the other man, home wrecker--they've been calling me a lot of things. What I think is cool about the film is there are no good guys and bad guys, there are just three adults doing their best to find happiness and we don't always know what the hell we're doing. [To me] what's interesting about the film is that he [Robert] didn't feel the need to label anyone good guy or bad guy, hero or villain. Marriage is messy and so is the pursuit of love or happiness and we're all doing our best to find it. 


Emily Clark: What made you make this particular film, why this story? 


Robert Machoian: I come from a family of six siblings and all of us got married and [have had] different trials and hardships in our marriages. I was fascinated to see how each one of us dealt with those and worked through them and some of the stories were ridiculous. When you're losing somebody you're madly in love with, there are things one does outside of their normal personality or normal traits, and I wanted to explore that. That was the kernel to write this thing. 


Emily Clark: What were some of your greatest challenges to making this film? 


Robert Machoian: [in terms of] the greatest challenges, we shot in 14 days and the crew mainly [consisted of] my students. The cinematographer, Oscar JimĂ©nez was actually doing his finals. 


Emily Clark: Tell me what it was like playing the role of Nikki. 


Sepideh Moafi: It was intensely satisfying and a really rich world and woman to dive into. It was also intense. Her circumstances are not the most comfortable to live in, but it's a reminder of how many people are going through this, whether it's in a relationship, in a marriage, a mother with her kids, or a conflict that arises from a love that is so grand and lives that are veering apart. It was satisfying but also kind of heavy. 

Emily Clark: What do you hope for the film? What do you hope the audience takes away from it? 


Sepideh Moafi: Everyone who watches this film connects to these characters, connects to the complexities of their dilemmas, their situations. One thing I think that Robert does so well with this script is [the way] that he shows so many different colors, different hues, the spectrum of our personalities and our characters. It's not like one person is a good person and one person is a bad person, or one person's right and one person's wrong. Everyone is a little bit of everything. 


Emily Clark: How did you prepare for the role of Jess? 


Avery Pizzuto: I grew up without a father, so I never had a definite father figure in my life, and it was hard at first to be able to become Jess in that aspect. I was reaching out to friends who had problems with their parents growing up, and I also started talking to my grandpa, and anyone that could resemble a father figure. That's how I started building up Jess and becoming her. 


Emily Clark: How did you meet Robert and what attracted you to this project? 

Clayne Crawford: Robert and I met in 2010. I was up here with a little film called "The Perfect Host" and he had one of his first shorts up here, "Charlie and the Rabbit." I was such a fan of his work and I realized that he uses his children in his films and his parents and neighbors, there were no actors.

 I was thinking, how in god's name did you get these performances? So selfishly, I'm [thinking] I've gotta work with this guy because he's going to make me look really good. We've been trying to figure it out and we just haven't had the time. When I got canned from my last gig, I said look, we're going to make our own movie, and let's just make it our own way. All these executives had these ideas of what they wanted to do with the script and Robert had this short based on this film and I said, let's try and see if we can turn it into a feature, let's try to build on it.




Comments